Yeah Yeah Yeah: The Beatles & Bournemouth

Yeah Yeah Yeah: The Beatles & Bournemouth
Click on the cover for information about the book. Available to order now.

15 May 2012

Beatles - hair, there and everywhere

Of all the people, stories, events and landmarks that connect The Beatles to Bournemouth, among the most unlikely is this humble barber chair, which occupies a corner at Mister M’s Barber Shop in Old Christchurch Road.
The chair came from Horne Brothers’ barber shop on the corner of Paradise Street and Lord Street in Liverpool which was one of the locations featured in Dezo Hoffman’s photo session with the boys on 23 March 1963, the day Ringo finally traded in his Tony Curtis DA for a grease-free mop top like the others had brought back with them under the influence of the Hamburg art crowd they befriended in Germany.
Brian Epstein was a regular at Horne Brothers and the barber pictured is Jim Cannon who turned down the offer to be The Beatles’ personal barber on tour. 
He opted out of the limelight and remained at Horne Bothers where he continued to cut The Beatles’ hair when they were in town.
Horne Brothers has long since gone, but three of the chairs - made in Chicago in 1923 – turned up in a salon supplies company in Liverpool. 
One had been renovated, but the other two were bought and restored before being auctioned in 2009. 
Mister M, who cuts a mean head of hair himself, it has to be said, can be visited at his website here
- The mop top was almost certainly first styled for John and Paul in Paris in September 1961 by Jurgen Vollmer, their photography student friend from Hamburg.

4 comments:

  1. I came across your page after looking through old Liverpool pictures, I remember Jim Cannon very well, Dad used to take me to Horne brothers in the 60s through to the early 70s, Saturday at 3pm every three weeks, for our haircuts. It was a wonderful space all wood panels, with red leather chrome chairs, very much like an old gentlemans club. Jim would always cut Dads hair first and whilst waiting I used to look through the magazines in the waiting area, Punch being my favourite. I remember Jim as a real Gentleman who would always address me as Sir, and made me feel very grown up, I was only about 5 on my first visit. Thanks for posting this, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see these pics of my Grandad. Also nice to hear such kind words about him. I miss him loads and I'm sure he'd simply shrug off the attention but he is a part of Beatles history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was Jim Cannon related to Vivian Mulhall of Downsview Ontario age 16 in 1966? Thanks John.

      Delete
  3. Yes I was a customer of Jim's at Horne brothers and he introduced me to facial massages (didn't improve me though). His dad was a radiologist in charge of the sunlamp room at Belmont road Hospital where us spotty youths could go and sit under the sunlamp to help get rid of the dreaded acne. Remember Jim as a very modest man and a great barber. There was a barbers at the end of his street in Larkhill Lane where he worked for a while

    ReplyDelete